One of the important things in life is sleep. We, as a race, spend an average of one-third of our lives in our beds. Considering that large fraction, we don’t spend that much time investing in the maintenance of our bed palaces. While we are in our beds, our bodies produce more bodily odours, such as sweat, drool, and other bodily fluids are constantly seeping into your bedding.
It is of the utmost importance to know how to maintain your mattress odour-free. This is because poor hygiene in your bed can cause problems while sleeping, leaving you unhappy, tired, and unrested. In our guide on mattress maintenance, we have included general tasks to add to your cleaning routine as well as a few tricks for “freshening up” your sleeping den.
Check out also: When to Hire a Professional Upholstery Cleaning Service.
Tasks to Add to your General Cleaning Routine
You may be wondering why you would want to add MORE boring chores to your cleaning list. Our team of professional mattress cleaners point out regularly that, in the long run, adding a few 10-minute tasks to your routine can save you time, money, and sleep. If you neglect your mattress, with time lots of dust and bodily odours accumulate that attract mites. Not only that, but poor hygiene can seriously deduct from your sleep.
- Now this one may seem a bit obvious, but changing your bedclothes regularly is vital when it comes to a good night’s sleep. At least once or twice a week is recommended.
- Vacuum your mattress once monthly. We shed lots of dead skin cells when sleeping and dust accumulates quite fast under those sheets.
- Flip your mattress once every 6 months. This will help avoid one-sided deterioration and will keep your mattress fresh for longer.
How to Maintain your Mattress Odour-Free
Our professional cleaners have put together a quick guide on how to maintain your mattress odour-free. This short routine, if conducted once monthly, will help keep your bed fresh and your nights peaceful.
Here is a list of things you should prepare:
- Bicarbonate of soda (100g) and cornstarch (100g);
- Essential oils (optional).
Now that you have gathered your tackle for mattress maintenance, let us get to work:
- The first step is to strip your bedclothes and hoover the top-side of the mattress (you can worry about the bottom side when you next flip it).
- Now, you will want to get your soda bicarb and cornstarch and mix them together.
- Sprinkle your dry component all over the surface of your mattress and leave it to sit for a good hour. If your bed has an odour issue, you may want to consider leaving it for a few hours.
- Hoover time. Make sure you suck up all the little particles. The soda bicarb and cornstarch work as a dry compound that, due to their small size, can get between the fibres of your mattress. They then absorb a lot of odours and bacteria. That is how it helps improve your mattress hygiene.
- Now you can sprinkle 20-30 drops of your favourite essential oils. Lavender is a great option for a peaceful night’s sleep.
You may also like: How to Keep Upholstery Stain and Odour-Free.