Summer with its warm weather, delicious treats, and greenery is definitely the best season to be outside. However, the most pleasant ways to spend your time in the warm season can lead to various stains on your favourite outfits. Luckily, we, at The Happy House Cleaning know everything and anything there is to know about dealing even with the most stubborn stains and spills.
Check also: How To Prepare for a Carefree Summer?
So whether you are hiking in a forest, lying on a white sand beach, or just enjoying a handful of fresh berries and accidents happens, don’t worry! In this guide, you can find the easiest and most efficient way to deal with grass stains, mud spots or ice cream spills.
A green scuff mark on a favourite pair of sneakers or white jeans can easily ruin them. However, if you act as soon as possible, you can easily remove the nasty grass stain. Prepare a thick paste from enzyme cleaner and a few drops of lukewarm water and apply it onto the stain. Let it sit half an hour then rinse with cold water. If you are allergic to enzyme cleaner you can replace it with castile soap.
A walk in nature can quickly lead to mud and dirt stains on your shoes and clothes. However, if treated right, mud is fairly easy to remove, even from light coloured clothes and delicate fabrics. Follow the steps below and the spot will disappear without a trace:
- Let the fabric dry completely before treating it otherwise, the dirt will spread, making the stain bigger and more difficult to remove.
- Use a spoon or dull knife and gently scrape off the excess soil from the garment. Try not to push the dry mud deeper into the fabric.
- Get a brush and carefully brush off the soil residues from the spot.
- Spray the affected area with cold water and apply a generous amount of stain removal product. Let it sit according to the instructions on the label of the cleaner.
- Wash the garment on a regular cycle, not the short program and set to a medium temperature. Never use the washing machine’s dryer because if there is even a small mud residue, the hot air of the dryer will set it deeper into the fibres, making the stain permanent.
Check also: 3 Green Homemade Laundry Detergents we Love
No one can resist a cold, fresh ice cream during the summer. Unfortunately, the treat starts melting in a few minutes and the sweet sticky drops can easily fall on your clothes. No one is protected from ice cream accidents, despite their age, but luckily the problem is so old, there is a tried and tested method of dealing with it.
- Scrape off the excess ice cream with a dull knife.
- Rinse the spot with cold water to remove any residues. Never use hot or even warm water as it can set the stain deeper into the fabric and make it permanent.
- Pre-treat the spot using an enzyme cleaner. Soak it in cold water for half an hour if the stain is fresh, leave it overnight if the stain is dry.
- Wash the garment on a regular cycle set on a medium temperature. Don’t put it in the dryer, before ensuring the stain is removed completely.
Berries are true summer gifts and there are few people who can resist them. However, most berries can leave a permanent stain if you don’t treat the garment properly. With these summer fruits, the rule to treat the stain as soon as possible is especially true.
- Rinse the stain under cold water until the colour starts to fade. Try to rinse most of the fruit juice – the longer you keep the garment under cold running water – the better.
- Pre-treat the spot using stain removal product according to the instructions on the label of the cleaner.
- If there is still some colouration left, repeat the previous step.
- Wash the garment on a regular cycle, set on a medium temperature. Don’t use the dryer, before making sure the stain is gone.
Follow our blog to read the second part of the article about removing stains from sweat, deodorant and summer cosmetic products.
If you have to deal with stains at home, don’t hesitate to call us. Our professional domestic cleaners have vast experience in cleaning all types of fabrics, carpets and surfaces leaving your home fresh and spotless.